Accelerated Pharmacy Program with Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Science
Worcester State and Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Science (MCPHS) have a formal affiliation agreement that admits students into an articulated program that begins with three years at Worcester State in one of four science tracks: Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry or Natural Science, and concludes with the three-year accelerated Doctor of Pharmacy program on the College’s Worcester or Manchester (NH) campus. After successfully completing the first year of required coursework in the PharmD program at MCPHS, students will earn a Bachelor of Science degree from Worcester State. The first three years at Worcester State offer a blend of liberal arts and sciences that meet both the MCPHS general education curriculum requirements and the specific science track requirements at Worcester State. Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Science provides the coursework needed for the student to earn the Bachelor of Science degree from Worcester State at the end of the first year of professional study, as well as the professional education required to earn the Doctor of Pharmacy degree at the end of three years at MCPHS.
MCPHS shall accept up to ten (10) qualified WORCESTER STATE students each year into the first year of the Pharmacy Program. If more than 10 students meet the established requirements and wish to transfer under the terms of this Agreement, the 10 students determined by the MCPHS Worcester/Manchester Pharmacy Admissions Committees to be the best qualified will be assured transfer admission, with the remaining students accepted on a space available basis.
Students who qualify ( at the end of three years at Worcester State) for the Accelerated Pharmacy Program with MCPHS must:
• have at least a 3.5 cumulative grade point average (on a scale of 4.0) if they entered Worcester State after fall 2008
• have at least a 3.2 cumulative grade point average (on a scale of 4.0) if they entered Worcester State in fall 2008
• be full-time students at Worcester State for the three pre-pharmacy years and follow one of the approved curricula
• no grades below C (not C-)
• no course repeats
• all courses completed at Worcester State
• TOEFL score of at least 213 if English is a second language.
****Students taking a reduced load for two or more semesters will be in violation of the terms of the Agreement and may lose their right to enroll in the PharmD program.
****Students who transfer into Worcester State from another college are not eligible for this program but can apply to MCPHS via the traditional application process.
Students applying to the MCPHS Accelerated Pharmacy Program must:
• Declare by November 1 of their third year at Worcester State their intent to transfer to MCPHS as a first-year Pharmacy Program student the subsequent Fall term.
• Complete an application to MCPHS via the Pharm CAS System by November 1.
• Notify both the Worcester State pre-pharmacy advisor and the MCPHS Office of Admission on the Worcester campus by November 1 of their third year at Worcester State. Students must indicate their first and second choice of campus (Worcester or Manchester).
• Send the completed application to the MCPHS Office of Admission on the Worcester campus by February 1 of their third year at Worcester State.
• Complete a successful pre-admission interview, conducted by MCPHS at the campus to which the student intends to transfer.