Intensive English Language Institute

  • FAQs about the Visa Process

    Can I study on an F-1 visa at the Intensive English Language Institute?

    Yes, Worcester State University is an F-1 sponsoring institution and international students are welcome in the program. F-1 visa holders must study full-time (20 hours per week) at all times.

    What is an I-20?

    The I-20 is the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Status is the document that will enable you to apply for an F-1 visa.

    What do I have to submit with my application to qualify for an I-20?

    The following documents need to accompany your application to the Intensive English Language Institute:

    What is the WSU Affidavit of Financial Support Form?

    The Affidavit of Financial Support Form is included with your IELI application materials and is a form that you or a sponsor will complete to show that you have the necessary funds to support your first year of study.

    When do I receive my I-20?

    Typically students will receive the I-20 within 2 weeks of being accepted to IELI.*

    *The process for transfer students may vary.

    How long is my I-20 issued for?

    I-20s for the IELI program are typically issued for 1 academic year (September to May, May to May, or January to December).

    What happens if I do not get my visa in time for the start of the program?

    Please contact IELI and the International Programs Office (508-929-8305 or so we can postpone your program to the next available semester and issue you a new I-20.

    Can I study at IELI for longer than 1 year?

    Yes. If you wish to continue your studies, you must apply to extend your stay by following the instructions provided by the International Programs Office.

    How long can I stay in the United States on an F-1 visa?

    As a student, you can stay in the United States as long as you have a valid I-20 and are attending classes. At the end of the program, you are able to stay in the United States for an additional 60 days.

    Is there an attendance policy?

    Yes. F-1 visa holders are required to attend classes regularly and make forward process in their studies.

    Am I able to take vacation?

    Yes. Once you have completed 1 full academic year (including both a fall and spring semester), you are eligible for a summer vacation.

    Can I travel internationally on an F-1 visa?

    If you wish to travel to another country while a student visa holder, you may do so during vacation periods provided you have met with the International Programs Office prior to your departure. You are responsible for determining if you need a visa for the destination country.

    Will I be able to work?

    As an F-1 visa holder, you will be able to work on-campus only up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. A student handbook with names and locations of potential campus jobs will be provided to you at the IELI orientation.

    Where can I find additional information regarding F-1 visas and being an international student?

    Visit the International Programs area of the myWSU student portal. A student login is required. Refer to your IELI acceptance materials for your WSU network login credentials.

    How do I apply for my F-1 visa?

    You will receive detailed instructions regarding obtaining your visa with your I-20. You can also find useful information here.