Betsey J. Brenneman
Senior Librarian - Electronic Resources & Access Services
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8AM - 4:30PM
Phone: (508) 929-8801
Office Fax: (508) 929-8198
- Adobe Photoshop - April 2006 from Assabet Continuing Ed., Northborough, MA
- HTML 100- May 2005 from Assabet Continuing Ed., Northborough, MA
- UNIX for Librarians - 100 level. April 2005, from Endeavor Information Systems, Inc., Des Plaines, IL
- Site administrator, all content and research for Worcester State's Library Website
- Site administrator, write all postings for Library Blog
- Site administrator, responsible for all photos on library's Flickr site
- Information literacy: teaching classes for students on search strategies, web search agents, accessing the Invisible Web, evaluating WWW research sites
- Legal and ethical issues involving technology in society: copyright and all intellectual property issues, the digital divide, individual privacy rights in the digital age.
- Profiled in Marquis Publisher's Who's Who in America, 64th edition (2010); 65th edition (2011); 66th edition (2012). A standard reference work since 1899 that recognizes 100,000 notable Americans in all professions.
- Recipient of a state-wide Massachusetts Commonwealth Citation for Outstanding Performance Award for 2005, Worcester State College
- Nominated for the Excellence in Teaching Award, Worcester State College (2005)
- CS 120 Microcomputer Applications (Computer Science Dept.)
- UR 193 Computers in Society (Freshman Seminar)
- UR 230 Technology, Public Policy, and Urban Society
- Microsoft Word (non-credit, Division of Graduate & Continuing Education)
Courses Taught - University of Rhode Island, Graduate School of Library and Information Studies ( GSLIS ) - Adjunct Faculty
I have been an adjunct faculty member for the American Library Association - Accredited GSLIS for over 30 years. Although on occasion I teach courses on main campus in Kingston, RI, mostly I teach courses through the Regional Program. I have taught URI/GSLIS courses at U Mass Amherst, U Mass Boston, the University of New Hampshire, and most recently in Worcester, at various locations before settling here at our own Worcester State campus.
- LSC 502 - Management of Library and Information Center Services
- LSC 503 - Collection Development
- LSC 504 - Reference and Information Services
- LSC 540 - Humanities Information and Materials
- LSC 541 - Social Sciences Information and Materials
- LSC 527 - Information Literacy Instruction
In Spring 2006, appointed as Regional Counselor for the Worcester campus of URI/GSLIS. Regional counselors answer general questions about the MLIS degree program, questions relevant to the needs of remote students, and also serve as advocates and mediators.
Publications & Presentations
- I try playing golf - some day I hope to break 100
- My cats: 1 white and 2 blue British Shorthairs from Advent Hill Cattery in NH (now AZ); and my newest addition of a mackerel tabby former stray.
- Fostering feral or abandoned kittens for a local no-kill shelter. Pictures of these kittens, along with my cats on my Flickr site.