Directory of Free Electronic Texts (E-books)
You can't beat free. Save a tree and read a book online.
Electronic books are a great resource when you can't find the printed book, and you don't need to read the entire book cover-to-cover. .
Many of the electronic text sites require Adobe Acrobat Reader® in order to view the books in PDF. You can download a free copy of the latest version of Reader at the Adobe site.
Available Only to the WSU Community:
Note: All electronic books that are in the Worcester State library collection can be found by looking in the Library Catalog. These have call numbers just like regular books, followed by the small lower case letters eb. You will find them listed when you do a search in the catalog and there is an electronic text available for that subject. All of our purchased E texts are through the vendor Net Library, now available on the EBSCO Host platform.
E Books on EBSCO Host. Public domain collection of classics and a "Library Collection" of almost 6,000 recently published books purchased for check out only to WSU library users. Electronic titles in business, careers, complete Idiot's guides, computer how-to books, consumer law, consumer health, self-help, sports and sports coaching, general how-to books, study guides, travel and Web development and more.
Ebrary - 77,000 downloadable electronic books
Oxford Reference Online - From one of the world's most respected reference publishers, the core collection brings together 100 well-known and trusted dictionaries and reference books for foreign languages, quotations, mythology, science, medicine, philosophy, and more.
Oxford Scholarship Online - A vast and rapidly-expanding online research library, Oxford Scholarship Online offers quality content you can trust, with instant and comprehensive coverage of over 6,500 titles in 19 subject areas, covering the humanities, social sciences, sciences, medicine, and law.
Gale Virtual Library - database of 30+ encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research
Credo Reference – Cross search over 600+ reference books online with a single search. Easy to use search box and all results are clearly documented as to what book title is displaying results. Click a button and your search can be continued in our other reference databases such as the Gale Virtual Reference Library and Oxford Reference. When you're ready to move to the next level you can continue your search in the WSC Library's Online Catalog; Academic Search (EBSCO) or Academic One File (Gale). Also has “concept map” interactive software to map out and focus your chosen research topic.
Full text entries from standard reference titles for Biographies are available from the Biography in Context such as 20 titles in the Who's Who series, Contemporary [Artists, Dramatists, Musicians, Novelists] and hundreds more volumes of important biographical resources..
Major Collections of E books
- Project Gutenberg - 30,000 free online books that can also be downloaded. Classic texts in the public domain
- Online Books Page - University of Pennsylvania site lists 25,000 free books on the Web. Can search by subject and Library of Congress call number
- Page by Page Books - hundreds of classic books in HTML format
- Project Bartleby - preeminent publisher of literature, reference and verse. Includes the complete works of Shakespeare, Harvard Classics, King James Bible, Reference books, thousands more.
- Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts - public domain titles from American and English literature as well as Western philosophy
- Google Books
- Internet Archive - Texts. Download free books and texts. Contains a wide range of fiction, popular books, children's books, historical texts and academic books.
- Voice of the Shuttle - Web site for humanities research from the University of California, Santa Barbara
- Online Medieval and Classical Library - literary works from these civilizations
- The Library of the Internet Shakespeare Edition - via the University of Victoria. View and compare facsimiles of the works as originally printed; explore in-depth annotation of the plays as they are edited by our team of scholars
- Making of America - digital library of primary sources in American social history from the antebellum period through reconstruction. Contains approximately 9,500 books and 50,000 journal articles with 19th century imprints
- Free Medical Books - 365 books, mostly in English but some in other languages; also links to journals and podcasts
- Free e-books - registration is required but it is free. Download books to your PC
- E Server - based at Iowa State Univ. Over 35,000 works; also includes audio and software/free shareware. Publishes material in the arts and humanities.
- National Academies Press - 3,000 science, engineering and health texts free online
Historic Documents of the U.S. such as the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence and other historical texts online can be located using the links on our Research Guide in Government
Other Web Resources - selective indexes to free E-books
- Digital Book Index - links to more than 148,000 title records from more than 1800 commercial and non-commercial publishers, universities, and various private sites. About 100,000 of these books, texts, and documents are available free, while many others are available at very modest cost
- eBook Locator - offers up-to-the-minute information on tens of thousands of E-Books from over 400 publishers worldwide
- Books Online - full text and audio. From the Carnegie Library, Pittsburgh PA with descriptive annotations of each collection link
- Internet Public Library - no longer maintains its own collection but now has great links to other full text sites in the arts, humanities and literature.
Back to Subject Listing