Dictionary of Statistics - full text in Oxford Reference: click on Politics & Social Sciences
Finding Data on the Internet
- Lists key sites for finding statistics and provides explanations of basic statistical terms, such as median and mean
Statistical Resources on the Web - Excellent site from the University of Michigan. Links are organized in broad categories, such as health, education, foreign trade, politics, the economy, and many more. A search engine is available.
Survey Research Center (Princeton U) - Gateway to Internet resources on surveys, polls, etc. Covers national and selected state sources, as well as some international sites. Provides links to polling companies, professional organizations, academic centers, etc. Also includes information on statistical software packages and resources on methodology.
U.S. and Massachusetts
- FedStats - Provides links to federal agencies which produce statistics of interest to the public
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Presents selected data on almost every aspect of American life, including business, finance, energy, housing, health, education, and population characteristics, etc. Links to full reports by the reporting agency.
- U.S. Census Bureau - Good source for the latest statistics on various topics (e.g. economic indicators). Includes numerous data files.
- Massachusetts Government - (Mass.Gov) The official state portal. Organized by functional category, but also has a search box. Information for state agencies, branches of government, cities and towns, agency websites, list of all publications (even the Drivers Manual from the Registry of Motor Vehicles.)
- Worcester - official city page
Many more links on the research guide to government
- International Database from the U.S. Census Bureau - Offers data on the population and selected characteristics of over 200 countries. Some data are supplied by the country itself, and some are estimates compiled by the Bureau. Period coverage is from approximately 1950 to sometimes 50 years in the future projections.
- Official Statistics on the Web - free sources on the Web; browse by country, region and subject.
- NationMaster - statistics page lets you compare countries in interesting ways (fewest crimes for example)
More International Statistical Sources
Statistical Data in Subject Fields