Finding Full Text
If you've searched a database and found the citation [reference] for an article which is perfect for your research project - congratulations! But what if your article is not available full text? Don't Despair - you have options.
- Re-evaluate other articles that you found. Another article may be as good - or better. Beware of selecting articles simply because the full text is online. This is not good research practice. In fact, some non full text databases do a better job of covering a particular subject area such as PsycInfo, Medline, or Cambridge Scientific Abstracts.
- Don't discount the usefulness of a database just because it doesn't have full-text articles. You can still obtain copies of articles you need for your research.
WSC Library Options
- Sometimes a journal that is not full text in one database is available full text in another database. Check the e-Journal Finder tool to see what database has the journal title - and the year you need.
- WSU has a growing number of journal titles available in online format which replace our print subscription to that journal. Use the same e-Journal Finder tool to find what journals (and years) are available online. * Remember to login first to have access from off campus.
- Check the WSU Online Catalog to see if the Library subscribes to the print title of the journal.
- You can search to see if another local library has the journal - but frankly, this approach means you'll have to travel to the library.
- Why not let us do the searching for you? Interlibrary Loan searches library holdings - local and across the country - to find the journal title and years you need. Most articles are now sent to us online so we can send the attachment to you via your WSU e-mail account. There is an online form available for you to take advantage of this service - be sure to read the policies for cost and delivery times if this is your first time using this service.
Free Online Options
- Directory of Open Access Journals - 4,583 scientific and scholarly journals with just over 342,000 articles
- E-Books - free sources for finding full text of books online
- E-Journals - providing links to the world's electronic journals
- Find Articles in Business - white papers and research articles from thousands of trade publications and newspapers covering major industry sectors and companies
- Free Full-Text Journals in Chemistry - alphabetical list with years available
- Free Medical Journals - 1,481 journals - not always the latest issues as electronic availability is sometimes held by the publishers for 6 months. Also free podcasts.
- HighWire Press - digital dissemination of 1305 journals, reference works, books, and proceedings.
- MagPortal - covers all subjects, but strongest in science, technology and psychology
- Open Science Directory - 13,000 scientific journals; easy identification of available issues and years
- Publist - 150,000 magazines, journals, newsletters and other periodicals
- Scholarly Journals on the Web - provides links to established Web-based scholarly journals that offer access to free English language articles
Purchase Options from Document Delivery Services
- Ingenta - 4.5 million articles; browse 13,500 journals by subject or title