Fire Prevention Tips
HOW TO USE A PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHER
• All electrical appliances and tools should have a testing agency
• Have appliances repaired if they aren't working right.
• Don't overload outlets.
• Water and electricity combined cause shock. Have dry hands;
don't stand in water. If an appliance is wet, have it serviced.
• Don't store things over the stove. People get burned reaching.
Turn pot handles so children can't pull them down. Wear tight
sleeves when you cook. Loose-fitting garments can catch fire.
Living or Family Room
• Use large ashtrays.
• Before you go to bed, look under cushions for burning
• Use a metal fireplace screen. Have the chimney checked and
• Put lighters and matches where small children won't find them.
Use special outlet covers to keep children's fingers out.
• Allow air space around the TV and stereo to prevent
overheating. If the TV doesn't work right, it can be a fire danger.
Have it checked out.
• Keep portable heaters away from people and combustibles.
• Buy a smoke detector and install it outside your sleeping area.
• Plan two escapes from each bedroom.
• Don't smoke in bed.
• Don't overload electrical outlets.
Basement, Garage, and Storage
• Store gasoline and other flammables in tight metal containers.
Don't use flammable liquids near heat, a pilot light, or while
• Have heating equipment checked yearly.
• Clean your workbench. Keep flammables away from sparks.
• If a fuse blows, find the cause. (Replace a fuse with one of the
• Sort and remove rubbish. Don't store things near the furnace or
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE A FIRE..........
• Get out immediately. Don't try and grab your possessions, they
can be replaced, you can't.
• Have a pre determined place to meet all the occupants of the
residence so every one can be accounted for
• Call the Fire Department. Don't assume some one else has.
• Give any information you can to the fire department regarding
the location of the fire and what is burning.
HOW TO USE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER:
P-----Pull the pin
A----Aim the extinguisher nozzle at the base of the flames
S----Squeeze trigger while holding the extinguisher upright.
S----Sweep the extinguisher from side to side, covering the area of the fire with the exinguisher agent.