Anonymous Crime Tip Service
If you see a crime in progress or require immediate assistance, call the University Police at 8911 or 508-929-8911
The new anonymous crime tip service is for non-emergency, investigative information only and will not generate a radio call or summon the university police to your location. This service is collaboration between the Worcester State University Police Department and TipSoft®.
You can submit your tip three ways:
- Mobile Phone / Txt Message
- Web Form
- iPhone App
While mobile phones menus differ by carrier or model, here are some basic steps on how to compose a text tip message.
Find "Messaging" or "SMS" on your phone's main menu.
- Create a new text message or send txt or SMS text.
- When composing your message:
§ Enter the number 274637 (which spells CRIMES) as the mobile # or in the "to" line
§ In the message body, type word WSUPD, a space, and then your crime tip information (WSUPD is not case-sensitive)
- Hit "Send" to send the message.
- You will receive a response from Crime Stoppers shortly, which will start the anonymous text dialogue.
* The service is available on most major carriers. WSUPD cannot guarantee this service will work on all mobile phones. Standard text messaging rates may apply.
- Complete the online tip form at https://www.tipsubmit.com/webtips.aspx?AgencyID=867 . The tip goes through a secure server where the identity of the sender is masked from the university police personnel receiving the tip.
1. To install and download this free iPhone app, search for "TipSoft" or "TipSubmit" in the ITunes App Store, go to http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tip-submit/id415165546?mt=8 or use your iPhone scanner app to scan the QR code on the right.
2. Start app and search for ‘Worcester State University’ under ‘Schools’.
3. Complete tip form and hit send.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What types of crimes should I submit?
The WSUPD would like information on any type of crime. The text tip line is not traced, and we do not collect data on the user's identity.
When may I submit a tip?
You may submit a tip anytime, anywhere, 24/7.
Do I get charged a fee to send a tip?
Although the WSUPD tip service is free and requires no purchase or fee for participation, standard mobile phone messaging rates and other fees may apply. Check your mobile plan for more details.
How do I stop participating in the text service?
To stop the service and end the anonymous communication with the WSUPD at any time, send a text message with the word "STOP" to CRIMES (274637). You'll receive a one-time opt-out confirmation text message. If you choose to, you can submit a text tip again at a later time by texting the word WSUPD along with your tip to CRIMES (274637).
No mobile phone or personally identifiable information is collected by the Worcester State University Police Department as part of this service. Your text-a-tip is completely anonymous to the Police Department and is only identifiable via a four-digit tip code that will be provided to you.
If you have any questions regarding the service, please contact the Worcester State University Police Department at 508-929-8911.