Worcester State University
Student Conduct

FAQ’s for Students

What is a judicial hearing?

A judicial hearing is the opportunity for students with judicial charges to respond to the written allegations against them and to present evidence in support of their case.

Judicial hearings are scheduled with either a Judicial Board or Hearing Officer(s). Judicial Board members are made up of faculty, staff, and students; the board is chaired by the Judicial Coordinator.  Hearing Officers are professional staff members at Worcester State who hear cases on an individual basis.

For more information on judicial hearings and the judicial process, please refer to the Code of Conduct.

I have received a notice of judicial hearing. 
What does this mean?

The Office of Judicial Affairs has received a report alleging that you have been in violation of a Worcester State policy(s). Therefore, a date for a hearing has been scheduled to hear your side of these alleged violations.


What happens in the hearing?

When you meet with a Judicial Board or Hearing Officer(s) you will be asked about the alleged violation and given the opportunity to present any relevant information, documents, or witnesses. Honesty is important, and will be used as a factor in the decision making process. Meetings are scheduled based on your academic schedule. Please familiarize yourself with your student rights and responsibilities prior to the hearing.

What if I want to appeal the decision?

As a WS student, you have the right to appeal the decision upon the grounds identified in the code of conduct on page 28.  This needs to be done by filling out and returning the appeal hearing request form no more than five days after the date of the decision letter.

Will my parents be notified if I'm found responsible for violating college policy?

If you are under 21 and found responsible for a violation of the alcohol or drug policy your parents or guardians will receive a letter from the Judicial Affairs Office notifying them of the offense. The letter is generic in nature and does not reveal specific information about the violation, other than that it was a violation of Worcester State's alcohol or drug policy. In order for the Office of Judicial Affairs to share specific information with your parents, we require a signed FERPA waiver from you.

How long are student judicial records maintained?

A student’s judicial record is maintained from the time of enrollment to seven years after a student graduates or voluntarily withdraws from Worcester State. At that time the records are destroyed. Records of suspension from the residence halls and suspension or dismissal from Worcester State are permanent records and therefore not destroyed.

Can I bring and advisor to the hearing?

Students who attend a judicial hearing have the right to bring an advisor with them only to provide moral support. An advisor is typically a member of the Worcester State community chosen by a student to provide personal support through the judicial process. An advisor must have no other role in the hearing, such as a witness, and may not speak or otherwise represent their advisees. Admission of any person to the hearing shall be at the discretion of the hearing body/judicial officer.

Related Links:
  Residence Life
  College Police
  College Handbook
  Code of Conduct Student Affairs
  Student Rights Responsibilities Sheet
  Student Conduct Appeal Form

DataBridge © WSU, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA 01602
Phone: 508-929-8000