Resident Artist Program
The Resident Artist program of the Worcester Center for Crafts is a one to two year appointment designed to meet the needs of pre-professional craft artists by providing studio space, facilities, and guidance, within a supportive studio community. Residencies are offered in Clay, Glass, and Metal studios. Resident Artists contribute through the focused pursuit of their creative work, teaching, and studio support roles, while acting as mentors and actively participating in the diverse studio communities that make up the Craft Center.
The residency program is unique in that it emphasizes the development of each Resident’s teaching skills in addition to their creative and artistic growth. Qualified Resident Artists are required to teach classes (ranging from introductory level to special topics) an average of one class per/week. In exchange for teaching classes, Resident Artists may have the monthly tuition cost of the residency ($240) waived. *
Each studio also has the option, on an as needed basis, to select a Resident Technician, which in lieu of teaching oversees technical management of the studio facility.
The Resident Artist community meets regularly with the Residency Advisory Committee to engage in critical dialogue on the development of their work and culminate the residency year with a group exhibition in the Krikorian Gallery.
Resident Artist Benefits
• 24/7 Access to studio and facility• Individual Studio Space• Regular Critiques with peers and advisory committee• Teaching Opportunities *• Exhibition in the Krikorian Gallery• Opportunity to sell work at in the Gallery Store and at the Annual Festival of Crafts• Immersion in a creative community• Glass Resident Artists are entitled to a 50% discount on equipment rental rates
Resident Artist Obligations
• Continuous pursuit of creative work (min 25 hrs/wk)• Teaching *• Quarterly written reports and a minimum of one meeting with the advisory committee each quarter• Studio technical support (6 hrs weekly)• Active participation in the Craft Center community• Active participation in monthly critiques• Material costs**
Residencies run in ten month periods (September through June) with the option to reapply for a second year upon invitation of the Residency Advisory Committee.
*Qualified Resident Artists teaching one class weekly receive a waiver of residency fees. Teaching beyond one class weekly, will be compensated at going rate. (Non-teaching Residency Fees are $240.00 per/ month)
**Additional studio fees may apply. Please contact the Studio Liaison for further information.
Application Deadline is May 1, 2012
Or until positions are filled
Fill out the Resident Artist Application Form and send to the WCC along with:
1. CD with 20 numbered jpegs (300 dpi) with corresponding fact sheet (materials, process, size, date) or equivalent PowerPoint or PDF presentation
2. Statement about your present & future goals
3. Statement about your expectations of the Residency (of yourself & the Craft Center) and any other information you feel represents you as an artist and potential member of the Craft Center community.
5. Artist Statement
6. One completed reference form and a list of two additional references we can contact
7. $25 non-refundable application fee
See Right-Side Links to Download Forms
AiR 2013 Application
AiR 2013 Reference Form