Worcester State University
International Programs


 Safety and Travel Information

Safety and Travel Information


The security and wellbeing of its students abroad is a primary concern for WSU. Through the International Programs Office (IPO), WSU monitors local, national, and international sources for the latest information concerning security measures abroad, and extends safety awareness on the part of participants through the pre-departure orientation program. The IPO maintains regular contact with affiliated programs, institutions and faculty in order to stay informed of local security contexts and factors that may affect students’ security abroad.

Travel Alerts and Travel Warnings

The Bureau of Consular Affairs of the U.S. Department of State provides many services to U.S. citizens who are preparing to travel, live, work, or study abroad. It provides Consular Information Sheets for every country of the world and issues travel advisories to alert Americans abroad to a variety of conditions or concerns, such as Travel Alerts, Worldwide Cautions, and Travel Warnings.

According to the Bureau, Travel Alerts are a means to disseminate information about terrorist threats and other relatively short-term and/or transnational conditions posing significant risks to the security of American travelers. Worldwide Cautions are a form of Travel Alerts. Travel Warnings are issued when the State Department decides, based on all relevant information, to recommend that Americans avoid travel to a certain country.

The IPO monitors the Bureau's Web site frequently and encourages study abroad participants and their parents to do so as well. If a U.S. Department of State Travel Alert or Travel Warning is in effect for their destination, students are urged to consult the International Center (ext. 3215).

Students may view the list of current Travel Alerts and Travel Warnings online.

International Student ID Card

Transportation Links

  • Student Universe
    Information on student airfares, railpasses, hostels, trips, travel guides, and more.
  • STA Travel
    Information on student airfares, railpasses, travel guides, and more.
  • Travelcraft
    Information on student airfares, railpasses, travel guides, tours, and more.

Passport and Visa Links

All U.S. citizens (including infants and children) will need a valid passport to travel to and from Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean (excluding Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands). You will need a valid passport to re-enter the U.S. This policy also applies to foreign nationals of Canada, Bermuda and Mexico. Plan ahead and start the process to get your passport today. Note: Passport processing times have increased due to high volume. For more information see Passport Application Processing Times.

  • U.S. Passport Service
    The U.S. Passport Service and information including downloadable application forms, instructions, and requirements. To apply for a passport for the first time, go in person to one of the many passport acceptance facilities around the country, including many post offices or libraries. (You can find one by ZIP code at: www.iafdb.travel.state.gov. You will need to bring two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, like a certified birth certificate and a valid photo identification, like a driver’s license. The fee is $97.
  • American Passport Express
    A non-government service which works with the U.S. Passport Agency to return U.S. passports in less than a week for emergencies. This is one of many private rush services. There are many others to choose from. For a list go to www.napvs.org. The cost for these services vary from $130 to $200 in addition to the passport fees.
  • Embassy World
    Contact information and Web site addresses for embassies and consulates around the world, including foreign embassies in the U.S. and U.S. embassies worldwide.
  • Travel Document Systems
    TDS provides visa services for U.S. citizens for most countries for which an entry visa is required and can also assist with visa requirements for U.S. permanent residents for many countries. They also expedite U.S. passports (new issues, renewals, amendments, additional pages). Very urgent passports may be obtained same day.
  • Expedited Service
    (Form DS-82) - Passport Renewal. Receipt within two weeks. Surchages are non-refundable. This service is restricted to those who meet specified qualifications.
  • US-VISIT Program
    U.S. Entry/Exit requirements for non-U.S. citizens .
  • Visa Waiver Program
    Passport controls for citizens of VWP countries visiting the U.S.
  • Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
    For travel between the U.S. and the Caribbean, Latin America, and Canada.
  • Foreign Entry Requirements for U.S. Citizens Traveling on Tourism/Business
    Passport, visa, and health requirements for entry into foreign countries.
  • Foreign Consular Offices in the United States
    U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens can contact foreign consular offices for more information on required documentation for entry into a specific country.
  • U.S. Department of State Passport Services
    U.S. passport applications, visa and traveler health/immunization information, travel tips.
  • U.S. Customs & Border Protection
    U.S. travel alerts, entry and exit policies, prohibited and restricted goods.
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    Specific health information, required vaccinations for travel.

Foreign Currency

  • Foreign Exchange Currency Converter
    Current exchange rates for U.S. dollars into 164 currencies.

    Foreign currency
    For cash, checks, travelers' checks, and bank drafts, check with your personal bank to see if they can provide these services.

Health and Safety Abroad

Related Links

DataBridge © WSU, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA 01602
Phone: 508-929-8000