Improve community-wide health initiatives.
The Master of Science in Nursing – Public and Population Health online program at Worcester State prepares you to positively impact societal health care outcomes while progressing in your role as a professional nurse. With public health concerns on the rise, nurses prepared to engage in community-based intervention models are needed to lead the way toward a healthier society. This online M.S.N. program meets demand by broadening your nursing scope and qualifying you to reach wider audiences.
As part of the curriculum, you will explore the most relevant issues in today’s large-scale health industry and gain the opportunity to specialize your studies in global and cross-cultural health or health systems transformation. Throughout every course, you will learn from our experienced faculty who are experts in their field. In fact, the Dr. Lillian R. Goodman Department of Nursing at Worcester State is one of seven U.S. nursing schools singled out for its innovative population health curriculum and best practices by the AACN and the CDC in their Academic Partnerships to Improve Health (APIH) initiative.
This rigorous academic program prepares you for evidence-based nursing practice with a growing focus on multidisciplinary care and the nurse’s role as leader and manager of the client’s health care. Our graduate level curriculum reflects the core knowledge for all master’s programs in nursing as defined in The Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. These essentials are core for all master’s programs in nursing and provide the necessary curricular elements and framework, regardless of focus, major, or intended practice setting.
The comprehensive Master of Science in Nursing – Public and Population Health degree can lead you to advanced community roles that even a master of public health cannot, such as expanded nursing positions, unique teaching opportunities, and global clinical health care service, and it prepares you for further post-graduate or doctoral study.
As an added benefit, in earning this MS.N. degree and gaining the relevant experience, you will be eligible to apply for national certifications including:
- Certified in Public Health by the National Board of Public Health Examiners
- Advanced Nursing Executive by the American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Certified in Executive Nursing Practice by the American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE)
In this program, you will:
- Learn to use evidence-informed decision-making models and analytic skills to nimbly respond to pressing societal needs
- Become equipped with leading-edge, interdisciplinary research to lead sustainable change in community and population health practice
- Develop skills to serve vulnerable populations and communities through intensive practicum internship
- Build a professional network from a wide range of disciplines
- Bachelor of science in nursing degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade point average of 2.75 or higher
- Active, unencumbered R.N. license in the state you would like to complete practicum hours
- 2 professional references
- Career essay
Official transcripts may be mailed or emailed directly from the granting institution(s) to:
Graduate Admissions Office
Worcester State University
486 Chandler Street
Worcester, MA 01602