Take the next step in your career.
The Master of Education in Elementary Education online program at Worcester State University is designed to enhance your ability to meet the needs of students in grades 1–6.
Through the program’s coursework, you will broaden your understanding of educational theories and research as they apply to instructional practice and policy. While completing this program, you will learn from experienced faculty practitioners, gain practical applications, and create a portfolio of work to demonstrate your proficiencies.
This online master’s in elementary education from Worcester State University is designed for working professionals, with 100% online coursework and pay-by-the-course tuition. While this program does not lead to initial licensure, with an initial license in Massachusetts, you may use this degree to self-petition for professional licensure in Massachusetts. Neither a teaching degree nor teaching experience is required if you are not planning to petition for licensure. Students entering this program, however, should have some work experience in formal or informal learning environments.
In this program, you will:
- Develop and implement a plan of action related to a problem of practice by engaging in the action research process
- Provide high-quality instruction to young students related to the relevant state standards in major subject areas (math, English language arts, social studies, and science) through the use of research-based and effective-teaching methods, valid assessments, and analysis of assessment data
- Maintain high expectations for all students and establish a classroom where all students are able to access the curriculum
- Ensure that students of diverse backgrounds, learning styles, needs, interests, identities, native languages, English language proficiency, strengths, and challenges are valued and respected
- Establish effective partnerships with families, caregivers, community members, and organizations to promote learning and growth
- Use appropriate technology and related instructional methods to help students become capable technology users and to enhance student learning in all areas of the curriculum
- Collaborate with colleagues using high ethical standards to make continuous improvements to their teaching practice
- Complete online application for admission
- Pay $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited (or equivalent) institution with a minimum 2.75 overall GPA
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework from regionally accredited institutions
- Some work experience in formal or informal learning environments (submit two academic or professional references)
- If applicants do not have an undergraduate degree or minor in education, it is recommended that students have the following coursework completed on the undergraduate level:
- a course in child growth and development (or a CLEP Human Growth and Development score of 50 or higher)
- a curriculum course in early childhood education or elementary childhood
- Education course in reading foundations
Official transcripts may be mailed or emailed directly from the granting institution(s) to:
Graduate Admissions Office
Worcester State University
486 Chandler Street
Worcester, MA 01602