5 Questions for Andrew Ngo ’17

As the incoming president of the Alumni Association’s Advisory Board, Andrew Ngo ’17 is excited to continue building networking and career advancement opportunities for students and alumni. Ngo, a product manager for digital services at Humana, has been an active member of the university community since his years as a business administration and economics major, when he served as president of the Student Government Association. A self-described digital enthusiast, Ngo is hoping to leverage digital tools to grow the university’s growing alumni network. We recently caught up with Ngo to talk about his new role and what’s on his bucket list.

From president of SGA to president of the alumni board—you’ve been serving the university from the beginning. What motivates you to be involved? 

What motivates me is the ability to create change and positively impact the community. As an Upward Bound student at Worcester State, I have witnessed the university’s strong position within the community, and I believe there are many opportunities to bridge potential gaps and help students and alumni explore new passions. After all, without exposure, how does one know what they are passionate about?

What’s top of mind as you begin leading the Alumni Association’s Advisory Board?

As an alumni board, our primary objective is to support students and alumni in achieving success. While we are proud of our track record in graduating students, we recognize the opportunity of our extensive alumni network in helping the Worcester State community thrive. 

It is imperative that we improve our efforts in serving the needs of first-generation, BIPOC, and women students, as well as other underserved groups. Many Worcester State students, being commuters, tend to limit themselves to opportunities within their communities. We have an incredibly diverse alumni network doing amazing things all over the world. I highly encourage our alumni to reconnect with the university and contribute by providing mentorship to students, speaking on career panels, and guest lectures in the classroom. You have what it takes to provide students with the support and confidence to pursue their passions and achieve their goals. We have a wealth of alumni who are making significant strides in their respective fields, and I believe that every single one of them has something valuable to offer.

Now is the perfect time to get involved as we explore and experiment with new ideas. We plan on hosting hybrid events and in-person events in different cities to reach alumni nationwide. Our goal is to build our presence outside of Massachusetts to enable our alumni and students to have the support networks wherever they go to pursue their passions. We believe in the power of “Lancers helping Lancers,” and it’s time to turn this belief into a reality by taking action. After all, our community is not limited to Worcester, so let’s expand our reach and make a difference.

In this issue of the magazine, we’re highlighting students and alumni who studied abroad. Can you share a bit about how your study abroad experience shaped you professionally and personally?

I had the opportunity to go on an alternative spring break trip to Nicaragua and also spend a semester in China with three fellow students from Worcester State. This experience was life-changing, as I had spent most of my life in Worcester and was able to step out of my comfort zone and immerse myself in new communities, environments, and foods. This helped me become more open-minded and adaptable. I highly recommend that other students take advantage of the opportunity to study abroad, which is often overlooked. I have heard other alumni tell students that they wished they studied abroad when they were a student.

What’s your favorite thing about your career?

Culture and people. I love working on diverse teams. Diversity enables innovation and provides different perspectives on addressing opportunities. My favorite class at Worcester State was Organizational Behaviors with Dr. Plavin-Masterman.

Top three items on your bucket list?

One, I want to hit 30 countries before I turn 30. I have eight countries left. Two, I want to work my way up and do stand-up comedy and open mic in the future. And three, I want to live and work overseas in a major international city, like London or Hong Kong, for at least two years.

Photo by Matt Wright ’10

Tags: