Pursue your passion and prepare for a career in stage
Pursue your passion for theatre while learning marketable skills and getting hands-on production experience.
The Theatre Major will prepare you for a career in live theatre production and its associated industries or for advanced graduate education. You’ll study theatre history, acting, design, technology, dramaturgy, and stage management, with emphasis on the practical techniques and critical analysis necessary for creating successful stage productions. During WSU’s production season, you’ll get exposure to a range of styles and genres with a portfolio of productions selected to provide opportunities to a diversity of students and to produce work that is relevant to the community and that fires the imagination.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Take a broad range of courses in theatre arts
- Develop your skills with practical work in WSU’s scene and costume shops
- Choose from a wide range of electives, including Theatre for Young Audiences, Stage Combat, and Directing
- Complete a senior thesis project in the area you’re most interested in: scene or costume design, and lighting and sound technology, dramaturgy, acting, or directing
- Make real-world decisions in play selection, casting, rehearsing, designing, and mounting by participating in WSU’s student theatre club, Almost Off Book
- Participate in WSU’s theatrical productions, shows featuring diverse styles that range from comedy to drama to tragedy
Why Study Theatre at Worcester State?
- Costume Design for Theatre
- Driftwood to Dumpsters
- Modern Art
- Music of the Cinema
- Gallery and Museum Studies
- Jazz Ensemble
- Music Theory
- Computers and Music
- African Drumming
- Visual Arts in the Schools
See the diverse career paths that a degree in theatre can prepare you for.
Explore a wide range of rewarding professional opportunities with your theatre degree from Worcester State.