Meet Nick Holm, SGA President

September 18, 2023
AUTHOR:

Each year, an SGA President is elected to work with members of the Student Senate and the Worcester State community to ensure that WSU is serving the needs of all its students. This year, Nick Holm is serving as SGA President.

SGA President Nicholas Holm

Class of 2024, History & Political Science
Hometown | Westford, MA
Campus Involvement | Student Senate, Worcester State Foundation Board, Conference and Event Services Office employee

Can you describe the role of the SGA President? What do they do for the student body?
The SGA President oversees the operations of the Student Senate, and coordinates with administration to advocate for student interests.

What are some of the goals you hope to accomplish while in this position?
Reintroduce reliable funding sources to enable special interest groups; re-establish relationships between the Worcester State SGA and other Worcester area college SGAs; establish more reliable lines of communication between the student body and university administration.

What do you foresee as some of the challenges you could face in this position?
Post-pandemic recruitment has been a challenge for all student organizations. Both recruiting new members for Senate and helping smaller organizations reach new members has been reoccurring challenge.

At the end of the year, looking back, what do you hope your fellow students remember about you?
I hope they remember me as the president who brought normalcy back to the SGA. This year is going to be the first year without any pandemic-related impediments, and I want to make sure that this year makes up for the ones people missed.

What advice would you give to students who are just beginning to explore the type of leader or the type of person they hope to become?
Don’t be afraid to try things. I joined Senate because someone sitting at a table outside of the POD yelled at me to come vote. I wrote myself in, not even knowing what I was voting for. Sometimes not knowing what you’re getting yourself into is the best way to discover new things.

What are your current plans for the next few years?
I would like to live abroad for a bit. Last summer I went to Europe and really liked being there. 

AUTHOR: