Prepare young children to succeed
The Master of Education in Early Childhood Education online program from Worcester State is designed to provide the skills for teaching young children during this formative part of their lives. Upon completion of the program, you will be able to create a positive social context for learning and employ effective strategies to meet the needs of diverse learners.
Prepare to be taught by experienced faculty practitioners who will ensure you understand both theory and practical applications in the classroom. You will also create a portfolio of work to demonstrate your proficiencies.
This affordable online early childhood education degree is designed for working professionals, with 100% online coursework and pay-by-the-course tuition. While this education program does not lead to initial licensure, with an initial license in Massachusetts, you may use this degree to self-petition for professional licensure in Massachusetts. Neither a teaching degree nor teaching experience is required if you are not planning to petition for licensure. Students entering this program, however, should have some work experience in formal or informal learning environments.
In this program, you will:
- Design, implement and evaluate curriculum and instruction and assessment that promote children’s development and learning
- Identify, apply, and critique developmentally appropriate technology and interactive media that promote learning and development for individual children
- Establish a positive social context for learning, provide appropriate behavioral supports; and employ effective instructional strategies, to meet the needs of diverse learners
- Articulate how children and families differ in their perspectives and approaches to learning and create effective means of partnering with families
- Engage in reflective practice and continually evaluate and improve how their actions affect children, parents, and other professionals in the learning community; and apply reflective practice to the role of practitioner-researcher in action research
- Complete online application for admission
- Pay $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited (or equivalent) institution with a minimum 2.75 overall GPA
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework from regionally accredited institutions
- Some work experience in formal or informal learning environments (submit two academic or professional references)
- If applicants do not have an undergraduate degree or minor in Education, it is recommended that students have the following coursework completed on the undergraduate level:
- a course in Child Growth and Development (or a CLEP Human Growth and Development score of 50 or higher)
- a Curriculum course in Early Childhood Education or Elementary Childhood
- Education course in Reading Foundations
Official transcripts may be mailed or emailed directly from the granting institution(s) to:
Graduate Admissions Office
Worcester State University
486 Chandler Street
Worcester, MA 01602