Mission, Vision, & Core Values
Worcester State University champions academic excellence in a diverse, student-centered environment that fosters scholarship, creativity, and global awareness. A Worcester State education equips students with knowledge and skills necessary for lives of professional accomplishment, engaged citizenship, and intellectual growth.
- Worcester State University will channel scholarly creativity in new, exciting, and potentially important directions.
- Worcester State University will be a dynamic, valued partner with, and resource to Worcester, the region and the world.
- Worcester State University will be a model of best practices in promoting retention across the student body and in empowering students to attain both academic and career goals.
- All members of the Worcester State community will feel included and valued, and they will hold themselves and each other accountable to uphold shared values and achieve common objectives.
- Worcester State University’s plans and priorities will support the public agenda for higher education in Massachusetts as reflected in the Vision Project’s goals and seven key outcomes.
As a public institution, Worcester State University embraces the belief that widespread access to high-quality educational opportunities is the cornerstone of a democratic society. Members of the Worcester State community share the following core values:
- Academic Excellence: We are committed to providing opportunities to excel in a close-knit learning environment characterized by distinguished faculty, excellent teaching, and creative linkages between classroom learning and real-world experiences.
- Engaged Citizenship: We are committed to promoting community service, social justice, the democratic process, environmental sustainability, and global awareness to prepare students to be active and informed citizens.
- Open Exchange of Ideas: We are committed to inviting and considering the most expansive range of perspectives in teaching and learning, in scholarly and creative work, and in the governance of a complex, diverse institution.
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: We are committed to being an inclusive community in which our diversity enhances learning for all and in which people from all cultures and backgrounds have the opportunity to participate fully and succeed.
- Civility and Integrity: We are committed to respecting the dignity of all members of our community and to demonstrating this commitment in our interactions, decisions, and structures.
Institutional Learning Outcomes
Upon degree completion, Worcester State students will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective writing, reading, speaking, and listening skills to communicate across different contexts and audiences
- Critically evaluate information, make connections across disciplines and perspectives, and apply knowledge gained in one situation to new situations
- Respectfully interact, communicate, and learn from diverse peoples to work towards equity and justice
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to effectively engage in a diverse workforce and global community including: technological literacy, information literacy, leadership, and adaptability
- Develop the skills necessary for life-long learning including: curiosity, independence, initiative, and reflection