Choose an arts major that will prepare you for a variety of career paths.
With the Major in Art, you will get broad training in studio arts, arts research, and art history, and you will develop your creativity and communication and critical thinking skills. You will learn the history of visual art from all cultures, beginning in the prehistoric era to today, and the fundamentals of design, drawing, and sculpture. In this flexible program, you will have the freedom to explore a specified area of interest, including drawing, painting, illustration, sculpture, printmaking, or history and gallery/museum studies. The Mary Cosgrove Dolphin Gallery on campus will give you a practical setting in which to immerse yourself in current art, artists, and art trends; show your own work; and learn the inner workings of a professional gallery through internships, coursework, and exhibition work.
WHAT YOU WILL ACHIEVE THROUGH YOUR STUDY:
- Develop your own unique artistic voice through a series of art practicums
- Choose 30 credits of electives in the areas you want to explore
- Take advantage of Worcester State’s four dedicated studios with tools and equipment for printmaking, painting and drawing, design, and sculptural work
- Complete a senior capstone project
- Show your work in Worcester State’s Sagamore Studios or Mary Cosgrove Dolphin Gallery