Expand your perspective
The history major provides you with a solid foundation in the discipline of history, with a strong emphasis on hands-on, active learning. You will develop a strong foundation in historical thinking and research skills and methods, and you will expand your capacity to contribute to our increasingly global society as a well-informed citizen. In lively, interactive classroom exchanges, you will analyze the meaning of past events and acquire an informed perspective on your own history and the history of people around the world. Our diverse curriculum covers a broad range of topics in American history as well as all areas of world history—Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America. A special track for educators provides those planning to teach K-12 in Massachusetts with a solid foundation to teach the Commonwealth’s social studies curriculum.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Explore the particularity of past lives and understand the scale of human experience
- Learn how to collect, sift, organize, question, synthesize, and interpret complex material
- Learn about the past from multiple perspectives
- Develop the skills of history through doing: designing research projects, engaging in research, reading primary sources, and developing interpretations
- Craft well-constructed arguments that draw from a range of evidence
- Gain breadth of understanding while following your own interests and passions on particular eras, places, and questions
Program Options in History
Learn the historian's craft, including methodology, and topics you will need to know to be a history educator, including U.S. and world history.
Get your B.A. in history or political science and a Master of Public Administration and Policy in just five years.
Get your B.A. in history or political science and a Master of Public Management in just five years.
Get your B.A. in history or political science and a M.S. in Nonprofit Management in just five years.
See the diverse career paths that a degree in History can prepare you for.
Explore a wide range of rewarding professional opportunities with your history degree from Worcester State.